The Attorney-General's Department is an administrative unit established under the Public Sector Management Act 1995.
Within the department there are independent statutory officers, who are appointed by the Governor and report directly to the South Australian State Parliament:
- Commissioner for Equal Opportunity.
- Commissioner for Victim's Rights
- Director of Public Prosecutions
- Public Advocate
- The Guardianship Board
The following are statutory officers that form part of the Attorney-General's Department:
- Commissioner for Consumer Affairs
- Liquor and Gambling Commissioner
- Public Trustee.